[Review] Kendare Blake - Girl of Nightmares

Title: Girl of Nightmares (Goodreads)
Series: Anna #2
Author: Kendare Blake
Publisher: Tor Teen
Published: August 2012
ISBN: 9780765328663
Pages: 332
Rating: 4/5 stars
Format: ebook
Start: 24 November 2015
Finish: 2 December 2015


Synopsis:
This synopsis contains spoiler from the previous book.

It's been months since the ghost of Anna Korlov opened a door to Hell in her basement and disappeared into it, but ghost-hunter Cas Lowood can't move on.

His friends remind him that Anna sacrificed herself so that Cas could live - not walk around half dead. He knows they're right, but in Cas's eyes, no living girl he meets can compare to the dead girl he fell in love with.

Now he's seeing Anna everywhere: sometimes when he's asleep and sometimes in waking nightmares. But something is very wrong... these aren't just daydreams. Anna seems tortured, torn apart in new and ever more gruesome ways every time she appears.

Cas doesn't know what happened to Anna when she disappeared into Hell, but he knows she doesn't deserve whatever is happening to her now. Anna saved Cas more than once, and it's time for him to return the favor.

Review:
Just like my previous book review, there's nothing much that I can say about this book because I started to forget many details about it. Here's what I remember:

How did I get here? It wasn't a conscious choice. At least it doesn't feel that way. When Carmel and Thomas dropped me at home after school, the plan was to eat two servings of my mom's spaghetti and meatballs and vegetate in front of the TV. So what am I doing in my mom's car, four hours and I don't know how many miles of highway behind me, staring at dormant smokestacks jutting up against a darkening sky? 

The beginning of this book is pretty boring until the ghost-hunter scene happened and I kinda enjoy it. Then it gets more boring during the time of the preparation for London (spoilers). Things getting better after they arrived at that place. Not the well-being of Cas, of course, but the overall story line.

I hear my dad too, telling me the way he always used to, that there's never an excuse to not be afraid. He said that fear kept you sharp, that it kept you steadfastly holding on to your life. Rapid heartbeats to keep that heartbeat fresh in your mind. It's maybe the one piece of his advice that I threw away. I had my share of fear in the years after his murder. And besides, when I think of his death, I don't like to think that he died afraid.

As much as it terrified me, I think the best part of this story is the Suicide Forest scene (spoilers). It is so dark and twisted and awesome at the same time. Even more awesome than what happened at the end of this book.

Your morality isn't the only morality in the world. Just because it's yours doesn't mean it's right.

Talking about the ending of this book, I can't help feeling how bizarre yet appropriate kind of ending it is for the situation that are happening in this book. Which is why I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars considering the overall experience that I had with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Share the Love 2017: #Giveaway oleh @mandewi dan @afifahtamher

2018 Reading Goals