[Review] Stephen Chbosky - The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Title: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Goodreads)
Author: Stephen Chbosky
Publisher: Pocket Books
Published: February 1999
ISBN: 0671027344
Pages: 213
Rating: 4/5 stars
Format: ebook
Start: 11 June 2015
Finish: 16 June 2015


Synopsis: 
Charlie is a freshman.

And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it.

Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But he can't stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

Review:
I am officially doomed. I can't remember much about this book. I read and finished the book more than 4 months ago. Add the fact that I didn't write anything on my Goodreads review afterwards. How can I do that to a 4 star book? I can't even believe myself right now. 

Here's the very few things that I remember about this book:

1. I found it hard to understand Charlie's point of view. I can't relate much to his stories because I kept feeling that there's something more than what it seemed but I'm not able to understand it.

"He's a wallflower.""You see things. You keep quiet about them. And you understand."

2. I don't have any feelings toward Charlie's family. I don't hate them but I don't love them either. I do know that they exist, though.

I don't know if that's good or bad. I don't know if it's better to have your kids be happy and not go to college. I don't know if it's better to be close with your daughter or make sure that she has a better life than you do. I just don't know.

3. I haven't watched the movie even though I knew that Emma Watson was in it. And somehow I kept visualize the books with her and Logan Lerman. Not bad, I guess.

So, I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.

Okay that's it. For now, that's all that I could remember. I tried to read the quotes that I've marked on my e-reader and it brought back some of the feelings that I had when I read the book. I remembered that I thought Charlie was pretty strange because he cried a lot even though he's funny. I also liked the writing style, raw yet beautiful.

Now I really want to watch the movie and see what I think about them. And maybe, just maybe, I'll do a review about it. Don't quote me on that, though ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Share the Love 2017: #Giveaway oleh @mandewi dan @afifahtamher

2018 Reading Goals