[Review] Marie Lu - Prodigy

Title: Prodigy (Goodreads)
Series: Legend #2
Author: Marie Lu
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Published: January 2013
ISBN13: 9780399256769
Pages: 371
Rating: 3.5/5 stars
Format: ebook
Start: 26 May 2015
Finish: 31 May 2015


This review will contain spoilers from the previous book.

Review:
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I hoped. After reading Legend, I decided to continue the series right away to find out whether I truly like it or not. I had 3 things that bugged me after reading Legend: unclear dual POV, Day and June's instalove and the world-building (or my lack of visualization ability, to be exact).

In some ways, it doesn't matter why it all started, or if it was ever right. The thing is - over time, the laws evolved and twisted. Things changed.

Let's talk about the dual POV first. Back when I reviewed Legend, I said that the dual POV didn't bug me at all. I'm fine with it. Until I read people's reviews and how it was pretty much the same tone used in both POV. With that in mind, I started reading Prodigy by putting myself in Day's position while reading June's POV and vice versa. And I realized that they're right. Both of them pretty much has the same tone. It's not until almost the end of the book that I realized the similar tone came from their similar personality.

Next, Day and June's instalove. Like I said before, their feelings to each other was too soon. I enjoyed their relationship better in this book, though, because the difference between them finally shown and it felt so realistic. A very good progress in the romance part, for my taste.

"You know, sometimes I wonder what things would be like if I just...met you one day. Like normal people do. If I just walked by you on some street one sunny morning and thought you were cute, stopped, shook your hand, and said, 'Hi, I'm Daniel.'"

The last thing that bugged me would be the world-building/visualization ability. For this matter I compared my experience reading the Legend trilogy with Divergent trilogy. Not the writing style or the world-building but how easy it was for me to visualize the Divergent world because I watched the movie before reading the book. It was the other way around for the Legend trilogy and it's pretty hard. Add the whole unclear state of how the world was divided and stuff, it got super hard for me to visualize.

Overall I gave this book 3.5 out of 5 stars because even though some things got better, others just got worse. I think I'm going to take a break from reading Champion and see how things will go. I'm definitely going to finish the trilogy, just not right away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Share the Love 2017: #Giveaway oleh @mandewi dan @afifahtamher