[Review] Marie Lu - Legend

Title: Legend (Goodreads)
Series: Legend #1
Author: Marie Lu
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Published: November 2011
ISBN13: 9780399256752
Pages: 305
Rating: 4/5 stars
Format: ebook
Start: 22 May 2015
Finish: 26 May 2015

Synopsis:
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.
Review:
This is going to be a difficult review to write because I had read the rest of the books in the trilogy and I had a pretty mixed feeling about it. I kinda liked Legend. I think it's a pretty nice book to start my journey into this trilogy. However, my feelings for the next books are pretty complicated. I had to stop here so I wouldn't spoiled anything to you. So...here it is my review for Legend:

"Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything's possible again. You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time."

The first thing that hit me when I read the book was how hard it is to visualize the whole thing. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of this dystopia once I know more about it. But still, super hard to visualize. I do like the military aspects of the book, though. I think it's pretty refreshing since I haven't read any military books...ever. Possibly.

I will hunt you down. I will scour the streets of Los Angeles for you. Search every street in the Republic if I have to. I will trick you and deceive you, lie, cheat and steal to find you, tempt you out of your hiding place, and chase you until you have nowhere else to run. I make you this promise: your life is mine.

Since this is the first Marie Lu's books that I read, I think her writing style is 'okay'. The dual POV in the book, however, was another thing. I liked the existence of the dual POV because it made me understand the story line faster and clearer than the characters itself. The title that said 'Day' or 'June' helped me as well to visualize myself on the right person when it's their POV. After I finished Legend, unfortunately I read reviews about it and how there's no difference between them. And it affect my reading experience for the next book. I'll get to it more in my next reviews, though. So for now...I'll say that I'm okay with the dual POV.

"Few people ever kill for the right reason, June," he said after a long silence. "Most do it for the wrong reasons. I just hope you never have to be in either category."

Finally, let's talk about the characters. I personally didn't have any issues with both of the characters. I think they're pretty 'human' despite what people said. Their relationship is actually the one that bugs me a lot. Day and June together felt too soon for me. It's like they met for the first time, thinking how cute each other was, a few days/weeks passed then they realized that they like each other. So instalove, and I hate that.

There you go...my effort to write this review without spoiling too much about the next books in the trilogy. I still remembered back then I said that if every dystopian book will talk about taking down the 'new and current' government then I won't read them again. I broke my own promise because I did exactly what I said I won't do. I think I'll just take back what I said because this trilogy kinda restore my faith that there are other aspects about dystopian books more than just that. So yeah, 4 out of 5 star for Legend by Marie Lu to present a refreshing ideas and restoring my faith for dystopian books.

He laughs again. But when he speaks, his voice has a sad tinge to it. "Money is the most important thing in the world, you know. Money can buy you happiness, and I don't care what anyone else thinks. It'll buy you relief, status, friends, safety...all sort of things."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Share the Love 2017: #Giveaway oleh @mandewi dan @afifahtamher