[Review] Cathy Bramley - Conditional Love

Title: Conditional Love (Goodreads)
Author: Cathy Bramley
Published: October 2013
ISBN13: 9781490923765
Pages: 366
Rating: 4/5 stars
Format: ebook
Start: 21 April 2015
Finish: 25 April 2015



Synopsis:
Sophie Stone, thirty-something serial procrastinator, lover of Take That, Tesco knickers and tea with two sugars, rarely steps out of her comfort zone. So when an unexpected inheritance from a great aunt she's never met forces her to meet her father, it threatens the very foundations of Sophie's world. 

What did the old lady want her to discover? Was there more to her parents' break up than she was lead to believe? Sophie will have to face some startling home truths before she can finally build a future on her own terms.

Review:
More than 1 month ago I chose to read this book because of 2 reasons: pretty cover and the expectations of cute contemporary romance. And I think this book live up to my expectations and more. Let's get started!

Story-wise, I kinda like it. The first 2-3 chapters of the book is pretty annoying. Thankfully it got better after that. I think the part that I dislike the most is whenever Marc, Sophie's on-and-off boyfriend show up in the book. He's the typical playboy that only use Sophie for free room and food. Definitely a jerk.

A little voice - Emma's probably - told me that if I needed cash to reel in the man of my dreams, then I needed a harsh wake-up call.

And that brings me to the characters in this book. As much as I love Sophie's character development, I have to say that I really hate her up until the middle of the book. I mean, we're talking about a 30-something woman here. Yet she's so insecure, immature, and unambitious in her life.

I think at some point I kinda hate Sophie because she reminded me of myself. And that's not okay, because I'm still in my early 20s so I had hopes that I would be different 10 years from now on. However, her character development is the best part of this book because it happened gradually and it turned out to be pretty realistic for me.

'One thing I learned this year," I replied, is that you have to go out and make your future, not sit around waiting for it to find you."

The romance in this book is quite predictable but I like it. It was the right amount of romance: not too much but enough to give this book a lot of twists. The writing style is "okay" for me, not the best one I've read but not the worst either. Overall, I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Share the Love 2017: #Giveaway oleh @mandewi dan @afifahtamher

2018 Reading Goals